Students who have not completed their Personal Learning Plan (PLP) to a ‘C’ grade or better at Year 10 will be required to do PLP during Stage 1. This may be completed during semester one in their own time, with support from a staff member. Students who have not completed their PLP to a ‘C’ grade or better by the beginning of semester two will be required to participate in an intensive workshop at the end of Term 2.
Students must enrol in and complete two semesters of English to a ‘C’ grade or better for each semester. Students must enrol in at least one Mathematics subject in semester one, and may choose whether or not to select a Mathematics subject in semester two. Students who do not complete at least one Mathematics subject in semester one to a ‘C’ grade or better, must repeat a Mathematics subject in semester two.
All Stage 1 students will be enrolled in Stage 2 Research Project in the second semester. This is to support greater flexibility and a stronger focus on the Stage 2 subjects they chose in Year 12.
Students who have not completed Research Project to a ‘C-’ grade or higher will need to complete it the following year. Students who have completed Research Project may select four or five Stage 2 choice subjects.
Compulsory Subjects in the SACE
Each subject or course that is successfully completed earns credits towards the SACE. Students receive a final grade from A to E for Stage 1 subjects and A+ to E– for Stage 2 subjects.
To qualify for the SACE students must:
- complete a minimum of 200 credits
- achieve a ‘C’ grade or better in the Stage 1 compulsory requirements
- achieve a ‘C–’ grade or better in the Stage 2 compulsory requirements
The compulsory requirements are:
- Personal Learning Plan — 10 credits at Stage 1
- Literacy — at least 20 credits from a range of English subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- Numeracy — at least 10 credits from a range of mathematics subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- Research Project — 10 credits at Stage 2
- Other Stage 2 subjects — at least 60 credits from a range of Stage 2 subjects
The remaining 90 credits can be gained through additional Stage 1 or Stage 2 subjects or SACE Board-recognised courses of a student’s choice (such as Vocational Education and Training or community learning).