(South Australian Certificate of Education)
Stage 1These subjects are normally undertaken in Year 11. Students must enrol in and complete two semesters of English to a ‘C’ grade or better for each semester. Students must enrol in at least one Mathematics subject in semester one, and may choose whether or not to select a Mathematics subject in semester two. Students who do not complete at least one Mathematics subject in semester one to a ‘C’ grade or better, must repeat a Mathematics subject in semester two.
Students who have not completed their Personal Learning Plan (PLP) to a ‘C’ grade or better at Year 10 will be required to do PLP during Stage 1. This may be completed during semester one in their own time, with support from a staff member.
Students who have not completed their PLP to a ‘C’ grade or better by the beginning of semester two will be required to participate in an intensive workshop at the end of Term 2.
All Stage 1 students will be enrolled in Stage 2 Research Project in the second semester. This is to support greater flexibility and a stronger focus on the Stage 2 subjects they chose in Year 12.
Stage 2These subjects are normally undertaken in Year 12. Students who have not completed Research Project to a ‘C-’ grade or higher will need to complete it the following year. Students who have completed Research Project may select four or five Stage 2 choice subjects.
Compulsory Subjects in the SACEEach subject or course that is successfully completed earns credits towards the SACE. Students receive a final grade from A to E for Stage 1 subjects and A+ to E– for Stage 2 subjects.
To qualify for the SACE students must:
- Complete a minimum of 200 credits
- Achieve a ‘C’ grade or better in the Stage 1 compulsory requirements
- Achieve a ‘C–’ grade or better in the Stage 2 compulsory requirements.
The compulsory requirements for SACE are:
- Personal Learning Plan — 10 credits at Stage 1
- Literacy — at least 20 credits from a range of English subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- Numeracy — at least 10 credits from a range of mathematics subjects (Stage 1 or Stage 2)
- Research Project — 10 credits at Stage 2
- Other Stage 2 subjects — at least 60 credits from a range of Stage 2 subjects.
The remaining 90 credits can be gained through additional Stage 1 or Stage 2 subjects or SACE Board recognised courses of a student’s choice (such as Vocational Education and Training or community learning).
The SACE website has a useful resource for understanding the SACE via: https://www.sace.sa.edu.au/studying/your-sace